My photo
Have a passion for interior design and plants, books and music, DIY and creative projects, arts and travelling.

Thursday 16 April 2015

How to add personal touch to your home


My treasure bookcase. The wooden thingy on the wall is an old
cheese filter from Scandinavia 

It is no secret that it is rather easy to fall into the IKEA trap when one's first budget priority is not furniture. But even with IKEA stuff, I think it is possible to make a cozy and personal home.








I place some old family pictures here and there

Welcome greens 


If you read my previous posts, you have already guessed that you deal with a plants maniac here. So I will not give further explanation as to how the plants give warmth and coziness to one's home. And there are so many options to it! 

Lovely Tajik suzani 

Art in your home


It is obvious that well-selected art objects at home add originality to the decor and serve as eye and soul candy. Of course it is great if I would have an original Picasso hanging on my walls, but I also think that the most important is the personal value of the art for me and obviously that the objects fit in my home. I was blessed to have a talented daughter, but I am sure that many have a kid or two or nephew or cool neighbor kid, who can provide you with art.    


A collage wall in the entree 

 

Display your statement jewels 

Behind the necklaces is a beautiful suzani from Tajikistan.
I am afraid that it is not my last suzani
As a person with a love for beautiful objects, I often tend to purchase things knowing that I will not wear them, like this Tibetan necklace. But they are always in sight and giving me joy as a decor in our bedroom. 










Lovely jewelry box from Tajikistan paired
with my daughter's sculpture

Share your travel memories  


I love putting my souvenirs all over my place to keep the memories alive. From colorful suzanis on the walls to the ugliest magnets on the fridge - it is a fun and make your home more than personal. 

Felt rugs on the wall and floor from Kyrgyzstan
along with IKEA lamps and lots of plants 
Beautiful felt rug from Kyrgyzstan on the left and
Buddhist symbols from Mongolia on the right

























Get some vintage furniture 

I like the idea of combining the new and old, it provides special atmosphere to the decor. But I think it should be done thoughtfully, as too much of old furniture may make your home look a bit old-fashioned. Similarly too much of new stuff can stripe it of personality.
An old armchair from my parents-in-law. The yellow pillowcase is made by my mother-in-law.
The green one is actually not a pillowcase. It is a woolen sock from Tajikistan, and I think it looks great as a pillow. 





No comments:

Post a Comment